Wedged between the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolis and the charming city of Tyler rests Canton, an unpretentious small town with a population of 3,836. On one weekend a month – Thursday through Sunday before the first Monday – Canton comes alive with over 100,000 eager visitors from all across the South. Why do over a million people flock to Canton every year? The answer is First Monday Trade Days, of course. This world-renowned flea market has transformed from a small-town trading expo to one of ten largest markets in the United States. Overnight lodging is at a premium during First Monday Trade Days. That’s why many Texans are sampling the latest housing craze: tiny homes. Mill Creek Ranch Resort is a short walk from First Monday, so don’t think twice and book one of our tiny homes today before it’s too late!
The History of First Monday
In theory, First Monday Trade Days’ creation was happenstance. It all started in the 1850s when local farmers would travel a short distance to Canton on the first Monday of each month to witness court proceedings and, occasionally, hangings. Naturally, city and country folk alike began selling and trading produce, livestock, and goods. Month by month and year by year the event grew. It eventually became evident that organizers needed to move the event to the weekend and quickly expand. This bustling flea market has survived tornados, zoning issues, and aggressive expansion. There is no end to what you may find in Canton, Texas at First Monday.
Important Insider Information
- First Monday Trade Days take place on Thursday through Sunday before the first Monday of each month.
- Arrive at the break of dawn to avoid crowds.
- There are over 450 acres of land to cover, so please dress according to the weather.
- Plan on attending on Thursday or Friday to avoid massive crowds.
- Rent a cart. Some large items are too good to pass up!
- Bring cash.
- Grab a map, so you don’t get lost.
- It can take more than eight hours to walk the entire grounds, so plan on spending multiple nights in your tiny home or luxury cottage rental.
- Consult our Complete Survival Guide to First Monday for more information.
There is a seemingly never-ending line of delicious fair food at First Monday Trade Days. Think outside the box by avoiding typical treats and eats. Some of the area’s best vendors, restaurants, and catering companies plant their food trucks and carts to feed hungry flea market flippers. Keep your eyes peeled for boiled crawfish, catfish tacos, roasted corn, barbecue brisket, pecan pie, and hand-squeezed lemonade.
Tiny Homes Near First Monday
Mill Creek Ranch Resort has Texas’ most extensive fleet of tiny homes. We also have 100 award-winning RV sites, luxury cottage rentals, and luxury glamping yurts. Mill Creek Ranch Resort even offers free shuttles to the main pavilions! All rooms in Canton are usually booked solid weeks in advance of the First Monday Trade Days. Don’t delay – book a tiny home for your upcoming visit to one-of-a-kind Canton!