The first Winter Texans have officially arrived here at Mill Creek Ranch Resort, the South’s premier RV resort. Our award-winning, 200-acre property remains a four-season haven for native Texans and guests from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. But once the calendar flips to November (and December), countless Northerners set their sights on Canton, TX, home to the world’s largest flea market. Winter in East Texas is undeniably idyllic, with average highs hovering around 60 degrees. We welcome Winter Texans from all across the country, including Chicago, New York City, and Denver. And 60 degrees in January and February feels a lot like 90 to them.
15 Ways to Embrace Winter’s Arrival in East Texas
In hopes of enhancing your upcoming getaway to East Texas, we’ve compiled 15 ways to embrace winter’s inevitable arrival, ranging from birding to campfire cookin’ and golfing. While we’re incredibly close to the DFW metroplex, most Winter Texans choose Mill Creek Ranch Resort for its seclusion, spacious (and beautiful) acreage, and countless on-site amenities. Don’t be afraid to explore the region’s many off-the-beaten-path gems, as you never know when you’ll stumble upon a new favorite restaurant, a crowd-less state park, or an undeniably scenic country drive. Remember to bookmark this article for future reference.
- Play 18 holes of golf at a nearby course.
- Embark on a self-guided brewery tour, with stops in Tyler, Seven Points, and Athens.
- Go birding on Mill Creek Ranch Resort’s 200-acre property (or venture to a nearby state park).
- Lace-up your boots and head into the backcountry on a scenic, peaceful hiking expedition.
- Cook (and enjoy) a bevy of campfire recipes over your well-constructed bonfire.
- Shop ‘til you drop in downtown Canton.
- Visit a countryside vineyard, such as Cannon Creek or Valle della Pace.
- Take a day-trip to Tyler, home to the exciting Caldwell Zoo, the enthralling Discovery Science Place, picturesque Tyler State Park, and more!
- Plan an RV rally with your closest friends and relatives.
- Blaze through the dense forestry on a canopy tour via New York Texas Zipline Adventures, celebrating 10 years of sky-high, Texas-style thrills.
- Dive into Athens Scuba Park’s private lake in search of hidden, underwater treasures.
- Meet a legion of curious reptiles at the East Texas Zoo & Gator Park.
- Enjoy an hour or two of ultra-relaxing, catch-and-release fishing at Mill Creek Ranch Resort.
- Join the world’s largest treasure hunt.
- Visit historic Ben Wheeler, the “Wild Hog Capital of Texas.”
There’s still time to plan a much-needed extended break from the city. Many Winter Texans are pleasantly surprised to discover that our spacious RV sites are quite affordable, despite being steps from so many on-site amenities, such as the community pool and hot tub, fishing ponds, hiking trails, a disc golf course, horseshoes, and more! To book a well-deserved winter escape to East Texas, please call us directly at 866-488-6020 (or check availability online).